worth upgrading e420 to e3???

Started May 6, 2013 | Questions thread
SirSeth
SirSeth Veteran Member • Posts: 9,893
Re: worth upgrading e420 to e3???

I'm not sure if this applies because I came from the E-1 and E-330 to an E-3, but the most striking difference for me was the AF. It was so much faster both to change AF points and to lock on targets even in lowish light. This just makes overall use so much more precise and enjoyable.

I would say that if like a robust feeling camera and you like having more direct control at your finger tips, then the E-3 is a great deal. Yes, a vertical grip option is there, but the E-3 is bigger than the E-420 by quite a bit, and the feel without the vertical grip is still good with larger lenses. I think the AF, viewfinder, and tilt/swivel LCD alone are worth the price. The IQ is good, especially in RAW, but I'm not sure how much better since I haven't owned the E-420. I have processed E-520 files, and found that camera to wash out highlights more easily than the E-3.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha a7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow