The Big Photo Show, Los Angeles Convention Center (w/ chaser)
I attended The Big Photo Show at the Los Angeles Convention Center yesterday. Sony and Sigma had booths there along with some local camera stores, framing and printing services and others. Several local photogs gave educational seminars. There were a couple modeling stages set up too (one big, one small).
Canikon wasn't there which didn't disappoint me. Tamron wasn't there which did disappoint me.
At the Sony booth I tried out the RX100, A99, 70-400G1 (no G2 available) and the 500 f4:
It was great to be able to walk around and talk to manufacturer reps instead of some sales guy in a camera store. I think I learned a few things too.
My takeaways from all this:
- The tight focus points in the A99 bugs me.
- The RX100 would be a great camera for my Bangkok trip but the price is making me hesitate.
- The 70-400G1, 500 f4 don't focus end-to-end much faster/slower than my Sigma 150-500. I suppose we could sit around with stopwatches and argue about it but in the end they're all in the same focus speed league. This makes the 70-400G2 extra attractive.
- The A99 w/ grip & 24-70 wasn't all that much heavier than my A77 w/ 16-50. This was surprising. Maybe the grip didn't have batteries.
- Continuous lighting is not that bright. I was shooting a model with continuous lights in the ~f2-3 ISO400 range. You're never going to get into lens sweet spot range with continuous light.
The model shoots were more meat market shooting than portrait session. But if you bull your way to the front and start directing the model (no one was directing the model!) you can take over the shoot and get a couple nice shots:
And here's the chaser:
All-in-all, I'd go again.
|Post (hide subjects)||Posted by||When|
|May 5, 2013||2|
|May 6, 2013|
|May 7, 2013|
|May 7, 2013|
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sadiqur_Rahman by Sadiqur Rahman|
from Ain't Going to Work on Maggie's Farm no More
|Airborne by John Beavin|
from - How to respect the Flag and Anthem - (Portrait in Full Colours + A Border)