85mm 1.4: zeiss, nikon or sony alpha?

Started May 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 3,935
Re: nothing wrong,

jpr2 wrote:

verybiglebowski wrote:

I had Sigma 85mm f1.4 for Canon, but wasn't impressed at all, same as with Zeiss 85 f1.4 ZE.  Those two are only two 85mm lenses from my collection that I sold.

Planar's 85/1.4 bokeh is rather harsh and nervous, was it the same with the Sigma?

jpr2

But nothing special either. When I compared 85' on Canon, Sigma was a good performer, but neither it was sharpest, or had nicest bokeh, great price, build quality or fastest AF. Some results are still on my Flickr .

I believe (if I remember well), that rather ugly bokeh for a portrait lens was my reason to sell it. With Zeiss it was similar, but Zeiss was also rather soft wide open.

I had really bad luck with Sgma lenses until NEX. 19 and 30 are optically really good and that's what matter most to me. (Build quality was  crap however (version 1), but for that money...)

verybiglebowski's gear list:verybiglebowski's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow