Learning curve with the Kx...

Started May 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,147
Re: Learning curve with the Kx...

Quicksilver wrote:

Just got the used Kx and a cheap kit lens (55-200) from KEH.....body is immaculate, not sure how many clicks, but everything seems to work well.

Now dealing with the learning curve using all the menus.  LOL.  It reminds me of the day I pulled the Nikon (D300) out of the box years ago.  Nikon is big on menus too.

I am with these guys, the menus look alike at face value vs the Nikon, but they are generally only 1 deep and less confusing on the Pentax  There are a few, like some video options that might have a secondary menu, but again, not as confusing.

My D7000 uses Auto ISO and it is enabled in M mode.  (Pentax uses TAv mode instead, shutter-aperture value priority).  This sounds all nice, until you realize that the ISO control doesn't allow Auto as a selection, just the values 100-6400 or whatever it has.  So you switch the camera to M mode, thinking you are going to get a nicely exposed night shot, only to find out the camera cranked the ISO to 3200 and ruins your manual exposure (or converse, you think you set the ISO to 3200 and the camera decides on 100).  So point here is I have to dig into like tertiary menus to find the option to disable auto ISO.  Thankfully, Nikon added Auto as one of the ISO options on the ISO button with the new cameras, but even though it would be a simple firmware update for the D7000 they leave it off.

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow