High ISOS : M4/3 < APS-C < FF ?

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 4,198
Re: another vote for older sensors being good enough most of the time ...

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

I won't blame any photographer though, if there are lost highlight/shadow details when the camera is only capable of capturing 11 stops of DR and the sunlight scene has a DR range of 12, 13 or more stops.  I don't know what kind of special PP you do and how it can recover details already lost.

I knew when I saw your first answer that you were going to be one of "those"

Remember the lowly Canon G10? All that resolution and no dynamic range at all. At least a full stop below the lowly D70s

And yet I carried one on the Washington Mall on a late afternoon in spring a few years ago ... I faced the Capitol Building and shot an image with a coworker standing in front of the blazing white building (it veritably glowed) in a black jacket with black hair ...

So ... a total disaster, right? Like a wedding in midday sunlight ... brutal dynamic range.

The whites did not blow out and the blacks retained plenty of details. The exposure dial in LR4 is at 0EV and tweaked a few things with the image this time (I processed it 3 years ago but much prefer LR's rendering.)

So yes ... the OM-D would no doubt have had more headroom. But the practical question would seem to be "for what?"

I'm quite certain that you will come up with a snappy answer to that one lol ...

-- hide signature --

Really?  Not sure if your photo retained all the whites and blacks, and that ain't no brutal sunny scene.  That looks like a pretty mild sun.  Over here you can't open your eyes and still smile.  And you did not have any clouds to speak off, plus the subject is out in the open and not under a shade.  A modern sensor could easily handle that without any PP, I think.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow