High ISOS : M4/3 < APS-C < FF ?

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 4,660
Re: High ISOS : M4/3 < APS-C < FF ?

Xellz wrote:

You don't need to cover everything, unless you want to make your photo looks totally flat. Anyway most display media doesn't support even that much. This extra DR you won't even see unless start pushing shadows really far.

Looking flat or not depends on what you do with the image.  Whether you can capture enough highlight and shadow details in the depends on the camera.  Without lost highlight/shadow details due to a poorer sensor, there is nothing you can do to control how flat or constrasty you photo will look and still have the same details.

Fact is fact, whether I choose to publish a photo or not.  DR is measurable and tested many times.  Repeatable tests.  Such results are not only opinion, and not mine. There are thousands of photos for these cameras and many are taken with comparable settings in review sites and they are much more reliable to any I can show, and more convincing and trustworthy to look it.

DXO just published more test results for Samsung NX20, Sony NEX-3N, which again substantiates what I said - All current mirrorless cameras have 12+ DR (up to 14) and they can cope much better than the sensor in GH2 (11+).  A sunny day photo is the most common one that people want to take, not just enthusiasts.

Just don't speak about enthusiast photographers as a whole, when it's only your opinion and your minimum on IQ sensors performance.

p.s.

Can you show at least one your photo where you think older sensor could not handle it due to lacking DR?

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Xellz wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

I think that the E-M5 (and also the E-PM2, E-PL5, GH3, E-P5, E-PL6) all have, finally, adequate IQ even for enthusiast photographers, as their IQ is so close to APS-C.  IQ is of course the most important thing for cameras and it has been, but with the IQ achieved since the OMD sensor, many have found other factors as important if not more in choosing a camera.  The other factors  can have much more difference between cameras than the IQ between M43 and APS-C and therefore affect us more in our ability to take good photos, e.g. the quality of IS, speed and accuracy of AF, the availability of shooting data before taking the shot, the buttons and features...

The good news is that all the new mirrorless models (except Panasonic ones using old sensors) have the same or higher level of IQ as the E-M5 and all those cameras listed above, e.g. the NEX cameras and the Fuji X-series cameras.  This is why I have said that we have a new minimum standard now for mirrorless cameras.  Anything less is sub-standard.  Note that there are still clear differences between M43 and APC-C IQ when examined critically or when pushing and extra lattitude is required, such as often needed for pro and very demanding level work.  What I mean is that there are other things besides noise and resolution that are important for IQ, but M43 IQ is at a more than comfortable level now.

IQ has been adequate long before EM-5, enthusiast photographers learn a thing or two and don't blame the camera for blown highlights. I find performance of my G3 sensor more than adequate and i'm still far from pushing it to the limit, where camera is at fault and not the photographer.

Maybe for you, but not for me.

A typical sunny day has about 12 stops in DR, even more when the sun is stronger as is in some countries like Australia.  More like 14 or even 15 

The E-M5, E-PM2, GH3 etc have 12+, the best APS-C cameras have 13 to 14.  It will be tough work and highlight/shadow sacrifices in many situations with the G3.

-- hide signature --

My m4/3 photo gallery - http://ofdigi.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow