Rookie mistake - I'm not a rookie, but I am an idiot

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dnorth12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,129
Rookie mistake - I'm not a rookie, but I am an idiot

And I am not a pro. Had I been a pro, I don't think I would have made the mistake that I did. Had I been shooting more often as an amateur, I probably would not have made the mistake either.

Had I been a pro and this was a paid shoot, I would have fired myself. Thank God I am just an idiot.

Here is the scenario:

D800 and 14-24mm

Shooting landscape

7 shot exposure bracket in one stop increments

Aperture set at f8

Shutter speed set to match matrix metering

Continuous high

Live view on tripod

Bang out 7 exposures for each of my scenes.

So I get home and I have several scenes with 7 shots of exposure, from well underexposed to well overexposed. Good, because now I can do exposure blends if need be.

Then I get to looking at the exif and start wondering what the heck is wrong. Something is messed up. Not only is the shutter speed varying (as I expected it would), but the aperture setting is all over the place (which is not good when wanting to do exposure blend, as focus will be different on each frame).

It dawns on me that I was shooting in manual mode and not aperture mode, which would have froze the aperture at f8. Might as well have been shooting in program mode.

I am an idiot.

But I won't be the next time.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow