Which "enthusiast" compact camera with shallow depth of field and good video recording?

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
Tomas2013 New Member • Posts: 2
Which "enthusiast" compact camera with shallow depth of field and good video recording?

I'm going to buy a compact camera for travelling. My main requirements are:

Quality photos
Good video recording
Shallow depth of field (good bokeh)
Cheaper than Sony RX100 (this is just a price indicator, RX100 is "ineligible" due to the optical/digital zoom transition issue during video recording)

My current candidates are Lumix LX-7, Canon G15, Olympus XZ-2, Pentax MX-1 (and perhaps Nikon P7700, but I prefer shorter lens, or Nikon P330, but given the price tag I'm not convinced it could deliver the same/comparable results as those above).

At the moment I'm considering Panasonic Lumix LX-7 which technically seems to have good videos, but I don't know how well it performs in terms of bokeh. Also, I saw some video samples and it seemed to me that e.g. Canon models manage the changing aperture/light better (no sudden change of brightness, but rather dynamic) - but maybe that was just a matter of the sample. Secondly, in the sample photo gallery here on dpreview, for example the playcard detail seems to be less sharp than the one produced by Canon G15 - not sure how critical that is in real-life use though.

(Please note that I do not need a full DSLR camera or a compact with additional lenses as I already have Pentax K10D for advanced photography; here I am looking for something that is small, with good bokeh and good video so I can get quality non-blinking videos and when I decide to make a portrait or a 10 cm distance detailed photo, the background will not disturb the scene. I understand that bokeh will not be as great as with DSLRs, but still there are better and worse compacts for this.)

Any hints are much appreciated!

This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Pentax K10D Pentax MX-1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow