Feisol tripod question
Ball heads s*ck for action photography with a long lens. Consider a gimbal mount if you plan to shoot birds in flight. For a lighter lens, you may be able to get by with a lightweight such as the Jobu Jr.3. Another possibility is the half-gimbal that fits onto a ballhead tipped 90 degrees to the side. The tilt is done by the gimbal assembly, the rotation is done by the ball head panning base. Half-gimbals require meaty ball heads to work right.
My kit: Feisol 3472 (no center column), Arca-Swiss Z1sp, Custom Brackets Basic Gimbal (the "half-gimbal" I was talking about above). The Feisol has a huge base, and the Arca-Swiss is a 90mm diameter ball base. I am 5'5", so the tripod is too tall for me when fully extended. For most things, this combo is overkill, but for 400mm lens, my setup is very stable.
I recommend Feisol.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%