New article on color management

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
gollywop
OP gollywop Veteran Member • Posts: 8,283
Re: Camera-->sRGB versus Camera-->ProPhoto-->sRGB

Jack Hogan wrote:

gollywop wrote:  I'm wondering, however, where the XYZ came from unless you're talking about OOC jpegs.

Hi gollywop.  As I understand it, all conversions (including from camera space, if not short circuited by vendors' proprietary Raw converters) need to go through Profile Connection Space (XYZ D50) .  Come to think of it, the two color space flows should probably look like this:

1) Camera Space --> PCS --> ProPhotoRGB --> PCS --> sRGB
2) Camera Space --> PCS --> sRGB

If my understanding is incorrect I'd be interested to know.

It's my understanding that the camera's jpeg process begins with a trip to XYZ.  I wouldn't take bets, but I don't believe ACR does and I'm of an even stronger belief that RPP doesn't.  But, I too, wouldn't mind if someone chimed on this point.

How does dcraw treat a raw file?  That would give us a good hint.

If you have means for making them available, I could e-mail them to you.  They are dngs (I didn't keep the originals).

Excellent, fire away to my mail and I will share them (google Drive, linked to the Gmail account - you could probably do it too).  If you also had a NEF, that'd be great.

I fear I no longer have the NEFs.  I think some may have started life as CR2s and some ORFs.  But I'll ship them along to you.  I'll look into google Drive, but just at the moment I don't have time (and won't for the coming month of May) to ride herd on such things.  I'll be away from the internet most of the time.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow