Fuji F770EXR or Panny TZ25?

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Questions thread
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,276
Re: Fuji F770EXR or Panny TZ25?

Tckay wrote:

My daughter has the F300EXR and my mother has the Panny TZ18 and the Fuji F600EXR - I can get either for much the same price. The problem I have is that I find it difficult to get non-blurry shots from the Fuji and my mother says the same of hers. I do have an old FZ28 but would like a more compact superzoom for an upcoming holiday. I have posted the same in Panasonic compacts, but any advice here would be much appreciated.

Your daughter and your mother.....let me guess.

Neither of them are interested in outdoor, landscape or cityscape photography that small superzooms excel at. Both use theirs cameras for family and friends snaps, often indoors and often in low light.

This sort of usage is amongst the most demanding known to modern man (or woman) and in my experience, modern woman is especially critical of camera performance. Ironically people with this sort of requirement are considered to be low end users just because they want to rely on the cameras auto settings, when in fact its a very difficult environment to shoot well in and the right camera is key.

My advise is to confiscate those fabulous Fuji's from them and carry one around with you every day and instead buy them each something like a Panny LX7 or a Fuji X10/20

What each of these cameras has in common is the ability to do better in low light through a combination of a bigger sensor and or bigger aperture.

The Panny is especially interesting because its small sensor has deep DOF which is desirable in social settings and its large aperture f1.4 lens sucks in a lot of light which is also desirable. The X10/X20 would be a similar sort of deal.

Cameras like the RX100 have bigger sensors that gather more light but aperture reduces quickly as the camera is zoomed, ditto for mirrorless cameras with kit lenses, which also have shallower DOF, so its horses for courses.

-- hide signature --

Doctors are bad for your lifestyle.

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow