16MP sensor improvements?

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Questions thread
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 39,705
Re: Does the word "syncophant".......

tedolf wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Anders W wrote:

A 16 MP sensor resolves more than a 12 MP sensor no matter which aperture you use.

At what aperture?

Let me see.  Anders said, "no matter which aperture you use" and you ask "At what aperture?".  Huh.  Where do we go from there?

The advantage of the 16 MP sensor will be less pronounced if you use very small apertures than if you use somewhat larger ones, but it will still be there.

Is that true for OOF background items?

Let's see.  Anders said:

Diffraction has virtually no noticeable impact on areas that are really out of focus. It has a clearly noticeable effect on fine detail that is in focus or clearly within the DoF.

Huh.  Where do we go from there?

What about the "bokeh"?

No effect.

Diffraction has virtually no noticeable impact on areas that are really out of focus.

B.S.

Really?  I mean, really?  The areas out of focus are, by definition, not going to be sharp, so how is diffraction softening going to affect them?

It has a clearly noticeable effect on fine detail that is in focus or clearly within the DoF.

Except that most people don't care about that because most printers can't print at that resolution anyway; but the "haze" effect on OOF areas is very nocticable.

Tell us more about this "haze effect" and what it has to do with diffraction and portions of the photo outside the DOF.

These things are true regardless of whether you shoot a test chart or something else.

Test charts do not have OOF backgrounds, do they?

No, they do not, which is why DOF is not a factor for test charts.  But the effects of diffraction softening are the same for a test chart as they are for a "real life" photo.

have any meaning to you?

Tedolph

(channeling ZoranC)

I think I'd rather be a sycophant of Anders than a channel for ZoranC.  In fact, thanks for illustrating one of the many differences between us so clearly.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow