16MP sensor improvements?

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Questions thread
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 39,705
Once again...

tedolf wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Do any of you actually look at your photo's to see what diffraction looks like?

I know I do.  Regardless, you said:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51348161

Keep in mind that you will have more diffraction effects with more pixels on the same size sensor.

The 12mp sensor can be stoped down to f/11-16 without a lot of noticable diffraction.

With the 16mp sensor you are going to start seeing diffraction at f/8.

So the extra resolution is not without cost.

That is wrong.

It makes the whole photo look like it was shot though a screen.  The worst effect is on the background out of focus objects where it creates a distracting "haze" that doesn't look right.

That sort of thing doesn't show up in test charts.

Yes, you migh not be able to read letters any worse but diffraction does make the photo worse.

Please, use some common sense and look at your photo's  in addition to reading websites and measurebating.

The fact of the matter is that 16 MP will always resolve more detail than 12 MP, all else equal.  How much more, however, depends on a great number of factors.

See the part above where I say, "Yes, you migh not be able to read letters any worse but diffraction does make the photo worse"...

I see it.  But diffraction does not make the photo worse for 16 MP than it does for 12 MP.

...and the part where I talk about the effect on out of focus parts of the photo and how those sorts of things do not and can not show up in a photo of a two dimensional test chart?

Irrelevant to a discussion about the effects of diffraction as a function of pixel count.

Really amazing that you can read an entire post and not extract the substance of it.

If there is no substance to extract, then what else can I do?

Amazing really.

Strikingly so, actually.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow