16MP sensor improvements?

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Questions thread
Yohan Pamudji Senior Member • Posts: 2,874
Re: Tedolf's world

tedolf wrote:

Yohan Pamudji wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Do any of you actually look at your photo's to see what diffraction looks like?

It makes the whole photo look like it was shot though a screen.  The worst effect is on the background out of focus objects where it creates a distracting "haze" that doesn't look right.

That sort of thing doesn't show up in test charts.

Yes, you migh not be able to read letters any worse but diffraction does make the photo worse.

Please, use some common sense and look at your photo's  in addition to reading websites and measurebating.

Tedolph

Do you have one of the Olympus cameras with 16MP sensor?  I'm guessing not.  You should take your own advice and look at photos instead of spouting your own theory.

I do not see diffraction effects on the E-pl1 at f/11 or below.

I do see diffraction at f/16.

I know that mathematically there will be more diffraction effects with a closer pixel pitch.

This is basic optical physics.

So you tell other people to compare actual photos but you yourself go by theory.  I figured as much--just wanted to be sure.

I'll say it again: the 16MP sensor doesn't exhibit noticeably more diffraction than the 12MP at the same apertures.  I've shot with both sensors and am more sensitive to the effects of diffraction than you since it starts becoming obvious to me at f/8 and above, and I don't see an appreciable difference between the two sensors in this area.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow