Why Mirrorless cameras and Micro 4/3rds, in particular, are important to me.

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,553
Re: Why Mirrorless cameras and Micro 4/3rds, in particular, are important to me.

Dr Hal wrote:

I am 70 years old and have loved photography since I was 14 years old and my father bought me my 1st  "good" camera.  It was a Kodak Retina IIIC, which I still have today and it is in good working order except for the light meter.  I have had numerous cameras of every type over the years.  There are only a few that stand out to me.  My Pentax spotomatic, my Nikon 8008 which I hated because of the terrible autofocus, my Canon A2E, and then a series of Canon DSLR's.  Then I bought a Panasonic GF1 just to play with and it soon became the camera that I carried 90% of the time.

I just got back yesterday from a trip that I took with my 9 year old grandson to San Diego.  I actually felt sorry for the many people my age who I saw carrying large DSLR's with even larger lenses on them plus more lenses in camera bags.  I just carried my OMD on a shoulder strap with the 14 -140 lens on it, and two batteries and an extra SDHC card.  While I do realize that my photography certainly is not up to the standards of many of you, I am happy with the results and I was able to walk around for the whole day keeping up with a 9 year old (he is a very easy child and is happy to keep my pace).

I am attaching a few of the pictures that I like.  I have not had time to really go through my San Diego pictures yet.  We got home (Baltimore) last night.

I hope that people will keep an open mind and not just automatically dislike the mirrorless format because if you give it a chance, you just might enjoy it as much as I am.

Hal

Hi Dr Hal.

Glad you had fun in SD. It is one of my favorite cites to shoot in. So much variety for staging shots and each locale within 20 minutes of the next,  even in rush hour. Working man's heaven.

Sorry you spent unsatisfying years with 35mm varieties of cameras. I switched to MF back in the 80s and have stayed with it. Unless you count my phone I have yet to work with AF so I have avoided your pain there.

I am glad you are satisfied with your OMD and that it serves you well. My standards are hardly relevant to a grandfather out with his grandson.   I find that anything smaller than a full size DSLR (Nikon D4 for instance) is too small to hold comfortably so without a distinct business advantage it is not that I would dislike the mirrorless format so much as I  just don't care about really small.  I like the results from my current combination of equipment  to meet my current needs.  I don't think in terms of enjoying a camera any more than I think of enjoying a washing machine. Though I enjoy the results of both. Tools to get things done.

The next time you've in SD if you see me shooting with one of my Pentax 67s don't feel sorry for me lugging all the weight. I can have any smaller camera I want. I'm good. The adult  sized grip is super comfortable and secure for a long afternoon of shooting.  Surprisingly my vision is getting better so manual focus is faster than ever.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

denniswilliams

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow