Why Mirrorless cameras and Micro 4/3rds, in particular, are important to me.

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
bosjohn21
bosjohn21 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,381
Re: Please realize

Richard wrote:

Dr Hal wrote:

I hope that people will keep an open mind and not just automatically dislike the mirrorless format because if you give it a chance, you just might enjoy it as much as I am.

The images you posted could be taken by a good camera phone or a point and shoot. They both fit in your pocket and make great pictures especially printing an 8x10 or posting images on the web. So a mirrorless is not needed and is redundant.

A person who is carrying around a dslr wants good quality and lens selction, which m4/3rd mirrorless cannot compete with.

So I am glad you are happy with your camera but for me, I take my camera phone with me everywhere. If I am worried about size and weight I take my point and shoot that is pockatable and has a retractable lens. Then when I want best quality lens selection, time to break out the DSLR. So basically, m4/3 is automatically dismissed because it has limited lens selection and it is huge compared to my camera phone and P/S. Really I am surprised people even buy a declining format (in America according to the news we get) when there are much better options better for portability or IQ/lens selection.

What I don't understand is why people are so insecure that they must post justifying posts telling people not to dismiss their choice or their camera and seek acceptance among the DSLR community. If you are happy with your camera great but realize it is a tween system and it will have to do a lot better in features and a much lower price to gain traction in the US.

yup and you could also have taken the same shots with your over bloated full dressed dslr so the first paragraph is basically a put down come on,.

The difference is we old timers wont be tired at the end of the day, there are more and fundimental differences as well. Folks our age spent a lot of time with camers with fixed lenses or extremly limited choices for interchable lenses. A two lens kit was awesome and three was make us feel like pros. As a resault of this we don't feel nearly as limited as you newbies using prime  lenses or even camreas with fixed lenses. The argument that you can get more or better pics is faulty in that as there are an infinite number of great pics there is no philisophical difference.

As far as quality goes I shoot with both a so called full frame (which is in reality historically a double frame) camer and a gf1 and I find no practical difference in the cameras for ninety nine.nine percent of my photographic needs.

If your fond of and I suspect you are of viewing your files at the pixel level on a forty inch monitor you can see as can I differences but how about in an eight by ten print or even a bigger normal print>

How many forty by fifty prints have you made for sale in the last year? last two years? last ten?

ok so you have some but you get the idea. For the vast majority of photographers even many pros the difference in image quality is not enough to matter, nor is the availability of lenses as at least in the case of the gf1 there are various mount converters which allow mounting all kinds of glass.

the big slrs with the so called full frame will often possess better high iso performance but I dont really take many photographs in dark closets.

I fully agree with your last paragraph we dont need to justify our stinking camera choices. If we like them to heck with what others think.

If your a young sprout like the orginal poster or an old timer at 71 like me we will almost always opt for convenience over bloat

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow