12MP, 16MP or 24MP for the 17-55 lens?

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Questions thread
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,144
Re: 12MP, 16MP or 24MP for the 17-55 lens?

BAK stated what I intended far clearer (and more succinctly) than I did.

Buy the camera based on the features.  You have a great lens.  You will notice far more differences based on your technique than on the body you choose.

I recommend the D5100 because it does have a bit better DR and better video if that matters to you, but I don't think that you could go wrong with the D90 a more feature packed camera.

I've owned both the d5100 and the D90.  I was happy with both cameras.  I do not think that I would be happy with the d3200.  Frankly, I don't think Nikon got the implementation of 24MP right until the D5200. But I don't think any of the 24MP cameras offer enough "more" to select the camera based on additional MP.

If I was looking for a DX camera today on a limited budget, I would try to find a used D7000 with a low shutter count.  That is the true sweet spot.

mistermejia wrote:

gatorowl wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

Hi guys,

okay, let me ask this in the simplest possible way.  For you actual  17-55 owners, have you used different MP bodies on the 17-55 2.8 lens?

I just want to get THE BEST possible IQ out of this lens, but i am not sure what body would work best, if a 12, 16 or 24 MP.  Do any of you here have experience in this matter.  I am thinking that 12MP might be too low for this lens, and i am thinking that a 24MP is too much, perhaphs right in the middle would be best ??

With a 24MP camera and this lens not having VR i am thinking i might encounter a problem with the "technique" issue because of the high resolution and stuff.  What are your thoughts? I mainly shoot portraits for kids/family/friends.

Basically i am looking into the 12MP D90, 16MP D5100 and 24MP D3200, and the reason is because all these are pretty much the same price in the $500 dollar range.  Note that i am NOT considering external controls or anything like that, only proper MATCH for best image quality

Thanks!

I don't know your skill level, but given that you have a pro-grade lens, I imagine that you are at least an advance amateur or an avid hobbyist.  If you don't already have the 17-55.  I would strongly encourage you to purchase a different lens.  E.g., the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 has comparable IQ with VR.

Okay, if you are an avid hobbyist, you will almost certainly be disappointed with the limited controls that the D3200 offers.  It is a beginner's camera.  Great for point-and-shoot photography, but frustrating for photographers who enjoy tailoring settings for specific situations.

I have had both the D90 and D5100.  Both are very nice cameras.  The D5100 may be a good compromise, but I sometimes found the limited controls, e.g., no dedicated ISO button, frustrating.

As for IQ, all three produce excellent imagines, so I wouldn't choose between these cameras based on that dimension.  I believe that the IQ between the D5100 and D3200 are closer than the IQ between this pair and the D90.  The biggest difference will be in dynamic range and low-light shooting. The D5100's sensor provided a very nice boost in DR and a more modest boost in low-light shooting over the D90.

Thanks gatorowl.  Have you used ALL these cameras with your Sigma 2.8 lens?  I know exactly  what you mean by "frustrating", i would feel the same way with the D5100/D3200, but i guess IF i just study the manual i will "eventually" find my way thru the stinking menu in a reasonable amount of time, but obviously not as fast as the D90.  I sold my D7000 months ago and i do know the ISO differences, and right now i am using my Fuji S5, so yes, it is frustrating to use one of these higher end camera bodies and then use one of these cheapy ones, but i figure that if D800 owners have one of this little backup cameras, then maybe i can deal with it eventually.  It is not high ISO i am looking for, as i already explained above, i just want to match the right amount of MP to the 17-55 lens.  What i do find very funny is that these three cameras are costing about the same, but they are all different.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow