What happened to micro 4/3 pricing?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chatokun Regular Member • Posts: 447
Re: What happened to micro 4/3 pricing?

The A-Team wrote:

The 20 1.7 is exactly what I would be interested in. I didn't know about the in body IS. I thought all mirrorless cameras had that. Guess not. How does the Oly EPL5 compare to the GX1 in terms of image quality and features? It goes for 2x the price!

-- hide signature --

A few things affect the pricing here: The EPL5 is newer, so it hasn't had time for a significant price drop. While it doesn't have the same excellent 5-axis IBIS of the OMD(still has a good IBIS), it does have the same sensor as the OMD. This means it has higher dynamic range, color depth, and ISO performance over the GX1. I haven't used the EPL5 yet, so I'm not sure on it's features, but many people using it along side or in place of the OMD are very satisfied.

Compared to the GX1, the only downside I see for a portable camera of its size is no built in flash. Still, the GX1 is a great deal, and it was the camera I used before the OMD. It was very comfortable in hand, and with the 20mm 1.7 quite compact and easy to use. Even without IBIS I often used it at 1/15-1/25 shutter speeds and only had issues occasionally at the lower speed (though I did have the EVF which added another spot I was pressing it against me for control). It's a good camera with very good IQ, even if the EPL5 does beat it.

Chatokun's gear list:Chatokun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow