What happened to micro 4/3 pricing?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,916
Re: What happened to micro 4/3 pricing?

The A-Team wrote:

I remember the GX1 was priced at $699 for body alone when it came out. Now its just 40% of that initial price. I wish that happened with DSLRs.

Its a Panasonic "thang."  In the US and Japan (mostly in the latter, since the start even) a year into the life of any camera will see prices fall to under 1/2 their starting point.  The GH3 will get there... but I am thinking early 2014 at this rate.  In the fall of 2009 I got the GF1 (at release) + 20/1.7 kit for 80,000yen along with the G1 (same sensor, but a nice EVF and articulated LCD) + 14-45 + 45-200 for 60,000 yen.  Gouged on the former, but a sweet deal on the later.  Olympus prices barely budge in the home market (4/3 lenses are STILL a premium, EP2 about the cost of the EPL5), though closeout deals can be held at times in the rest of the world.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
REJ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow