Will a summer A77 firmware obviate the pending release of a new APS-C model A78?

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
VirtualMirage Veteran Member • Posts: 3,956
Re: Almost all my a77 complaints are firmware related, not hardware

Edward Sargent wrote:

• MFA adjustments for both ends of a zoom lens.

I think that would be a first for any camera but you would need a middle I would think

That's what I initially thought, but Canon currently offers this capability on their 5D MkIII.  Don't know if it tries to average out the difference in the middle or if it does something else.

• No crop mode for video with SSS is turned off.
  • Rotate the Fn menu when viewed vertically.  Not a big issue, but noticeable when using a vertical grip.
  • Ability to still take pictures using the built in effects and filters when shooting RAW+JPEG.  The JPEG will reflect the effect/filter used while the RAW is the untouched photo.  I very rarely use these effects, but I primarily shoot RAW.  To have to shoot JPEG only to take a few shots is annoying and it leaves me without an untouched original.

Maybe I misunderstand, the A77 does that now.

I think you are referring to the last of those three.  If not:

• The A77 still crops video even if SSS is turned off.
  • The Fn menu and picture reviews are still horizontal even if viewed vertically when using a vertical grip.
  • Nope, the A77 won't allow you to use picture effects if you are shooting RAW or RAW+JPEG.  RAW I can understand, but RAW+JPEG it could at least make the change to the JPEG and the RAW will be the original image.  You can try it yourself and see it won't work.  You will get an error message stating that it doesn't work in RAW or RAW+JPEG mode.  Maybe you are thinking of the color settings like the Vivid, black and white, etc.?
-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gil
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow