Just trying out the 40mm 2.8 STM

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Photos thread
Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,129
I just got one of these little things

sacentre wrote:

Just got a 40mm Pankake lens today and have to say I'm very pleased with it. I took a few random shots around Singapore and the lens seems to be very sharp at 100%. These are heavily cropped from the original RAW files. For a $200/- lens, this seems to raise the bar in terms of value for money.

If, like me, you get a bit tired of lugging around heavy zooms and ocassionaly just want a single, fast and ultra lightweight prime, this is a no brainer.

It's thin and light for sure.

I agree with the sharp comment. It is sharp wide open, and has very pleasant bokeh when shooting in close.

I did not read the rest of the comments, so if this has been mentioned, my bad. Focus is real slow in poor light, really slow on a 5DMkII. Fortunately, it is quick enough outdoors and in any reasonable about of light. I was a little worried when I first started testing it in my man cave.

I'm hoping it'll work as an in-close cycling sports lens as well as a sorta fast prime. The idea is to replace a 16-35f/2.8 at the 35mm end. I don't think sports is what it was meant for, but I like a good challenge, and if it works I think it's sharper than my 16-35f/2.8. It's certainly smaller and lighter. Could be nice. Time will tell.

Enjoy

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow