Panasonic GH3 review published

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
gregs4163 Regular Member • Posts: 282
Re: About the EVF.

PC Wheeler wrote:

gregs4163 wrote:

Actually I went back and looked at the final scores for both the GH2 & GH3 and under the Ergonomics & Handling category they scored the GH2 higher????? doesn't that contradict what they were saying throughout the review????

As I recall the reviews were two years apart, and perhaps the reviewers were different. I owned the GH2 and find my GH3 ergonomics far superior -- but the reasons may be subjective:

• I have rather large hands, even though I am small -- long fingers -- and the GH2 grip was just too small.
  • The base of my thumb tended to make unexpected WB button touches on the GH2, so I missed shots.

Similarly, the GH3 review really lauds its video capabilities -- but the GH2 and GH3 "bars" are exactly the same. Clearly a difference in reviewers and standards (and we know the video reviewer was different for the GH3)

I find it interesting, too, that the GX1 scores better than the GH3 "Low light / high ISO performance" category . I have a GH3 and a GX1 (paid $1000 less for the GX1), a fine camera and my short-trip carry-on body). My experience is that my GH3 does somewhat better at ISO 3200 and 6400 than my GX1. But there was roughly a year between those reviews. The GX1 also scores a tad higher than the GH3 in "Ergonomics & handling". That is truly mind boggling, at least in my opinion. Etc. Etc.

I think numerical comparisons of reviews separated by as long as even six months can be misleading because standards, at least subjective ones, do change

Thank You Phil, finally someone seeing my point! I agree with you 100% I'm glad it got a Gold Award but these inconsistencies in the reviews really bug me, and this thing with the EVF I just dont understand! I hate seeing an awesome camera being bashed for things that I can't see. And yes I believe that these numeric ratings are more misleading than helpful.

gregs4163's gear list:gregs4163's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow