Help with the 420 EX in non-TTL use
The 420EX always works in E-TTL.
In order to always work in E-TTL, it always has a preflash.
And I do not know how you set the preflash off BEFORE the shutter opens, and then set the "real" flash off WHEN the shutter opens.
If you had a 430EX, which has a manual switch, you could probably use it.
420EX also works in traditional TTL without pre-flash on older EOS models. Mounted on non-EOS, it won't receive the communication it expects for E-TTL or TTL and will probably (I could be wrong) simply fire a single flash at full output at shutter open.
IMHO-- hide signature --
Unapologetic Canon Apologist
Thanks for responding. The flash does fire, and I think you are correct, at full power. If that is the case, I assume the GN is 138.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%