Sony NEX-6 or Olympus OMD EM5?

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Joseph T Lewis III Veteran Member • Posts: 3,420
Re: Sony NEX-6 or Olympus OMD EM5?

Good points, Jeff.  I hadn't thought about the GX1 or E-PM2 for the OP.  Don't know if he is interested in that class of camera or not.

So far as a GX1 for me personally (which I think was the intent of your post): I already have an E-PL2 as a backup camera but have found I never use it.  If I am going to go to the trouble to take an interchangeable lens camera, I end up taking the OMD.  (I leave my Sony A57 at home for the same reason, but that's another story.)  I am after something I really can put in my pocket; a "set it and forget it" camera I can take with me anywhere and not have to worry about bags (even little ones), straps, etc.    The size, fast wide lens, and IQ of the RX100 are very appealing to me, although I haven't totally made my mind up yet.

One thing that we should probably tell the OP: if you buy the OMD, be wary of the small Panasonic pancake 14-42 X power zoom lens.   There are many reports of it having problems with shutter-induced vibrations at certain speeds, that result in blurry images.  This problem occurs on the OMD as well as on the Pany bodies, although perhaps not quite as pronounced.

I checked on this the other day and there don't seem to be any recent threads that say "Eureka, the problem has been fixed and all the Pany 14-42 X zoom lenses produced after mm/dd/yyyy are all very sharp at all shutter speeds".  So, the issue is probably still something to at least look into.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow