Help with the 420 EX in non-TTL use
I was hoping that someone who uses or is familiar with the Canon 420 EX can assist me in understanding how to use it on a non Canon camera where TTL is not a possibility.
I am looking to use the 420 with a Panasonic fz 200. In not being TTL compatible - I will need to determine the guide number GN to use. The 420 EX manual provides a GN chart that is based on the focal length of the flash zoom.
Here are my questions,
1. Since the 420 EX is a zoom flash and TTL is not available, I am assuming the flash is not zooming, is this correct?
2. The 420 has no manual controls. On the back of the flash there are led lights corresponding to the various focal lengths of the zoom: 24 mm (GN 23) to 105 mm (GN 42) (see insert). Once the camera and the flash are turned on, one of the lights illuminates. FYI - if the flash is turned on first, the Flash Coverage of 24 is lit. If I turn on the camera first, then the flash, 35 is lit. Is this indicating that the flash is using that corresponding GN (23 or 31) ?
I am just looking to see what the flash is doing to ascertain the GN. Then I can build a chart based on a GN and provide aperture and flash/exposure compensation to get the lighting as best as possible.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sunflower Field by GrannyMeg|
from An impressionist piece
|Flag from Staten Island Ferry by wam7|
|SAND SCULPTURE by duskman|
from Landscape - Black and White #4