Mirrorless- Continuing to Under Perform

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Biggs23 MOD Veteran Member • Posts: 4,073
Re: Why should MFT lenses be cheaper than FF lenses? Smaller, yes...

Bart Hickman wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

In a lot of cases, MFT lenses are cheaper than FF equivalents, so I disagree about the price issue.  Eg., MFT systems have some nice 300mm zooms that are a hell of a lot less expensive than the 600mm zooms available for FF.

Not to argue because I have no experience with m43, but what m43 300mm f/4 lens is available that will accurately AF and provide quality equal to the 600mm lenses available for FF?

It's a fair point.  You're right, there's no truly equivalent.  Only the FOV is equivalent.  But for about $600, I can get a 300mm zoom that's F/5.6 in mFT.  That's equivalent to 600mm F/11.2 in FF which sounds ridiculous because such a lens probably would look ridiculous (it'd look like a long piece of pipe.) The point is 600mm F/11.2 equivalent is reasonable on a smaller sensor so this less expensive option is available in the market thanks to the smaller sensor system.

But there actually are a variety of reflex lenses available for FF systems that would actually be 500mm, 600mm, or longer with f/stops larger than f/11. Those lenses are available relatively cheaply as well. There is even the Nikkor 600mm f/5.6 IF-ED which is available for $1600-1900 pretty regularly. There are also things like the Bigma (50-500mm) as well. Lots of options exist that are pretty close in price range.

So while I agree that truly equivalent performance is not cheaper on MFT (it doesn't even exist), I'm just arguing that MFT (smaller sensors in general) enables a less expensive option and smaller that will seem equivalent in most circumstances for most people.

True, and a valid argument.

APS-C DSLR's are crippled by the fact that they share a mount with FF.  So if one wants 600mm equivalent on APS-C, they must buy a 400mm FF lens which is massive and expensive and the stabilization must be over-designed to allow for use with APS-C.  Ironically, FF pixel density is getting so high that FF camera users (at least on Nikon) can just use APS-C DSLR telephoto lenses and crop.  So that's something else that's working in favor of FF if you don't mind the bulky camera body.

Agreed.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D750 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
(unknown member)
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
(unknown member)
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow