Is Nex-6 to basic for me? Based on my history and current thoughts on it

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mjstowe Junior Member • Posts: 31
Is Nex-6 to basic for me? Based on my history and current thoughts on it

First off, please do not think I am a troll. I was a member here from 2002 I believe when I bought the Nikon D100. I went through many cameras since including Canon, Panny etc. Problem is I have since used many different email accounts etc and didn't have my credentials to log back in...so...had to reset everything...

Ok...I have had the urge to get back in to photography and have been buying/returning cameras left and right to try out (all through Amazon warehouse deals so already previously opened). So far I have gone through the Sony RX-100, A65 and A77. I found I am not wanting the bulk of the big DSLR any more so that eliminated the 65 and 77 (although I really liked both). The RX-100 takes really nice photos, but I actually had some specs on the lens that I could not get rid of which reminded me of my old DSLR days (I still may revisit the RX100)

So, I have the Nex 6 and have just started using it. I originally was going to go with the 7 but was forumed out of that choice after reading and reading. My first impressions are that it is to much oriented towards the point and shoot auto group for my taste. The pop up info if you pause in the menus is a big annoyance and I have yet to find out how to turn it off if possible. I know you can customize controls somewhat, but it still seems really limited almost like it is set up not to trust the photographer. Am I really off base here or am I missing something? Also, for basic IA mode, it chooses such a high ISO. I compared my old LX5 in IA to this and the Panny chose ISO 800, where as the Nex chose ISO 3200. Same exact setup otherwise.....

I guess I am wanting more DSLR control in a smaller camera so I am asking you all to let me know if this one is capable or if the 7 (or another camera all together) is a better choice. Maybe even the RX100 again although I really like a VF

Thanks and sorry for the ramble.

Mike

Nikon D100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow