* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 259, 13 04 10 *

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,228
Re: Jazz

RoelHendrickx wrote:

I attended a small private concert last Tuesday, of Belgian jazz musician Joachim Badenhorst in a solo set.  I was there as a guest, not photographer, so I only had my LX3 with me.

I did my own little bit of "free jazz improv" in order to get an original angle with OOF foreground interest.

PANASONIC LX3 (1/60 at F2)

If Buddy Holly played a horn...

Roel works the angles again, and once again it succeeds.

Music/singing performance photos often struggle, pitted against our rich sonic memories. This picture is no exception, but the tilt brings some vitality and dynamism; it becomes something more than just a guy holding a horn.

The player's legs-shadows reach back to an alternate instrument, a nice tie-in which grounds the performer physically and professionally. An overhead white rim establishes in the viewer a sense of his own relative location. (The perspective says the pic was shot from a standing position.) The white rim also helps partially "enclose" the musician, thus simultaneously positing an audience and facing him to it. All these cue an ambiance much different than a closeup sweat-beaded performance shot. Not better, just different.

I like the picture for getting the job done despite the photographer's small toolbox.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow