* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 259, 13 04 10 *

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,137
Re: The Chisled Trail

dave gaines wrote:

Not the Chisolm Trail but a highly carved, rocky route. This is Sheep Canyon in Anza Borrego Desert State Park. We hiked about as far as you can see and around the corner in this rugged, steep canyon. The streambed is full of syacamore and cottonwood trees while the surrounding hills are classic So Cal Sonora Desert. E-5 and 11-22 mm f/2.8-3.5 lens.

Trail into Sheep Canyon

-- hide signature --

Dave

Absent any cues that look "trail-ish," I think the title -- though undoubtedly true -- doesn't efficiently make the sale. Both the human subject and the scrub tree are explicit (as opposed to implied) elements, and thereby preempt viewer's hunt for a visible trail.

For me the subtle theme of greenery emerging in a rocky desert landscape amidst parched, dead growth of seasons past has the main accessible eye appeal. As landscape I'd probably want the human present for scale only, and therefore considerably smaller in the frame to help emphasize the ever-present western Big Land idea.  Trite maybe, but it still works.

Although not knowing what's available at this place I think I'd like a wider view.

I like the variety of textures. The simple color palette makes it easy to imagine glorious sunshine -- a big deal to us in the Upper Left Corner (Washington State).

-- hide signature --

Zin

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow