Cache & RPM important for second internal drive?
I upgraded to a SSD a while back and it has been awesome, to say the least. Computer loads programs much faster and I haven't had photoshop die on me with the large (36 MP) files of the D800. I basically use my computer (13" macbook pro - 2009) for editing.
However, I need more storage space than what I currently have available in my HDD (500 GB), which is currently in the computer, replacing the DVD drive. I have 32 GB open - which is exactly the size of my CF memory card for my camera. Sad. I've been looking at upgrading to a new HDD and have found some options. I have some questions for you, but first some background:
- I am currently running all applications and OS from my SSD.
- All of my photos (and data) are on my HDD (Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB Hybrid Drive) which is internal to the computer (13" macbook pro)
- So when I go to edit a photo, the program uses the SSD (and the scratch disk from that), but it talks to the HDD, where the photos/data are kept.
Ok so now some questions:
- Will I see a difference between 5400 and 7200 RPM? I currently have a 7200 RPM HDD.
- Will I see a difference between 8, 16, and 32 MB of cache for my applications?
- I know that if it were my main drive, all of these would be attractive features, but since all it does is store the information (which I understand needs to be read and written by the SDD), I'm not sure how important they are.
I'm not planning on getting a new computer for at least another year, and could really use this new hard drive soon (when I graduate!). I have found these three HDD that I think fit the bill:
- ($120) Seagate Momentus XT 1 TB 7200 RPM 64MB (which is the upgraded version of what I have now)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
|Post (hide subjects)||Posted by||When|
|Apr 10, 2013|
|Apr 11, 2013|
|Apr 11, 2013|
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!