What would be the right move to correct my distortion issue?

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 7,027
Re: What would be the right move to correct my distortion issue?

Robbilt86 wrote:

Hello all, I travel all across the country taking photographs of semi trucks. I currently use Nikon D300s and D90 bodies paired with Nikon 12-24 and 16-85vr lenses. The issue I have been running into lately (especially with the 16-85vr) is complex distortion affecting the exhaust stacks and making them look bent inwards no matter what angle or perspective the photo is taken from. My question is....what if any lenses should I be looking at to help correct this problem without loosing image quality? Also, do any members have any tips for helping to keep this at a minimum and if not....how would you go about correcting it post processing (keep in mind that I have already tried the automatic corrections in ps and pt lens etc. and they do not seem to correct this problem)? I have included a few sample images to show you the distortion I am talking about.

Thank you all in advance for your input and guidance,

Rob

I would recommend using a lens with less distortion at this focal length. That's the easiest fix. I find the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM is virtually free from barrel distortion, and is remarkably  rectilinear in almost all of the frame in the 14-20mm range. Even at 10mm this Sigma does better than a lot of UWA lenses to the point that you can often get by without distortion correction at all. (That can not be said of the Nikon 10-24mm at 10mm, for instance.)

Here is an example of shot at 10mm with the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM,  without distortion correction.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow