7D Mirror Shake - w/70-200 f/2.8 - Advice on brace, please

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 18,124
Re: 7D Mirror Shake - w/70-200 f/2.8 - Advice on brace, please

birdbrain wrote:

What tripod are you using? Does it have a centre column and is that extended?

I have a Gitzo series 5 tripod which does not have a centre column and that is very sturdy. But even so with a 500 mm lens, plus 1.4x converter and a 7D making 1120 mm equivalent 35mm focal length, with legs fully extended it wobbles, in a wind it shakes. It gets better as you reduce leg length, with no leg extension there is still some slight movement.

So I would first check the stability of your tripod and head, the actual head will play a significant part as well in shake. I doubt a plate as you describe is going to help with tripod / head movement.

If it is just mirror shake you are seeing then live view and remote release would be the way to go.

Good point. My Gitzo (for travel) had the option of not installing the centre column and I never use it on my bigger tripod.

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD elfroggio
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow