Just ordered the 24-120mm f/4....after long consideration....

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,144
Re: Just ordered the 24-120mm f/4....after long consideration....

joejack951 wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

joejack951 wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

joejack951 wrote:

gatorowl wrote:

On my D800, I can crop an excellent 85mm exposure down to 120mm size and few if anyone would be able to distinguish my cropped exposure from your uncropped 120mm shot.  So, the difference is not major.

85/4.5 = 18.9mm aperture

120/4 = 30mm aperture

If looking for blurred backgrounds, the 24-120/4 VR has a distinct advantage over the 24-85/3.5-4.5.

Frankly, both the 24-85 and 24-120 have pretty lousy bokeh.

My comment wasn't about bokeh. Blurred backgrounds =/ bokeh. Solely based on specs, my bet would be on the 24-120/4 for having better bokeh than the 24-85 though. I've never seen the two compared for that quality probably because, as you allude to, zooms generally aren't the place to look for bokeh.

The 24-120 F4, with greater reach, can isolate a portrait better, but I would not use either for portrait work anyway.

Your personal preference aside, that was my point (well greater reach and a slight faster f-stop too yielding a far larger max aperture). gatorowl's claim that the difference is not major is simply false. For an 85mm f/4.5 shot cropped to 120mm, the difference is 1 1/3 stops (f/6.3 equivalent for the 24-85). That's the same difference between an f/2.8 zoom and an f/1.8 prime. I'd call it major.

If I'm out and about for a day with one lens on me, portraits are one more reason to choose the 24-120/4 VR. It's not the perfect portrait lens but it's far less of a compromise than the 24-85 is (weight/cost aside).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow