Any NZ Mantis experts on this forum?

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kiwigirl
kiwigirl Senior Member • Posts: 1,815
Any NZ Mantis experts on this forum?

NZ has been invaded by the South African (or Springbok) mantis which is displacing the local population.  I've Googled this subject but am finding conflicting information as to how to identify the different types.  Some web sites state that the native mantis can be identified by blue dots inside its forelegs.  Other websites seem to imply that it is not so simple.  Apparently the natives are always green while the imports can be green or brown.  Our house is littered with the egg cases of the African mantis so I was not expecting to find any natives around at all.

So I was surprised, on closer inspection of my shots, to see dots on the inside of the legs of this  young nymph who was little more than 1cm long.

He had a black ant for a meal

Note dot on foreleg.

This fellow has very different camouflage markings and is very obviously an import

South African or Springbok mantis

So - is anyone able to positively identify the green mantis - or is it just a "wolf in sheep's clothing"?

(And I hope I haven't made a mess of this thread because attaching images seems to be much more cantankerous than it used to be!)

kiwigirl's gear list:kiwigirl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow