Contituation of the Versatility thread

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,203
Versatile != only 'small'

FoolyCooly wrote:

moving_comfort wrote:

I have some real tangible undeniable gear-lust for a small kit like the OM-D.

However every time I shoot one, while reviewing the images later (and after patting myself on the back for taking advantage of the smallness,) I'm left with a feeling of dissatisfaction, a feeling of going backwards.

I personally just can't do it...  yet.  I need better AF, for one thing, maybe a better VF, maybe more DOF control, but mostly I just need better high-ISO performance so my shutter speeds can be where I want them in low-light, my subjects sharp, crisp, and as noise-free as possible.  Occasionally I need more dynamic range.

The fun gets drained and the 'versatility' dissipates when I look at the images later.  The D800 has completely spoiled me when it comes to IQ, I guess.

want to love the OM-D and its peers.  Maybe the next iteration.

DSLRs are too big to go everywhere. The best camera is the one you have with you.

The only camera I always have with me is my iphone 4s.  An OM-D, NEX, etc is too big to 'have with me' at all times anyway, especially with certain lenses attached.

A DSLR + small prime can be very 'versatile' in terms of portability + IQ + AF capability + speed/low light.  There are many ways to measure 'versatile', it's a big mistake to think it maps only to small.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
(unknown member)
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Biggs23 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow