Any WG-3 owner? Please share samples and experience

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
BorisK1 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,644
Re: Digital Wide mode

Jan Toude wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

What I don't like here, is the "ghosting" visible at the edge of the little tower atop the roof:

http://www.aaron.cz/img/pentax-wg-3-kostel-102299_1.JPG

This was shot at 1/1250, so camera shake shouldn't have been a factor.

The picture subtitle in Czech: "Digitální širokoúhlé", in English: "Digital wideangle".

"In [WIDE] (Digital Wide) mode, you can stitch two vertical images captured with this camera into a single frame up to approx. 19 mm coverage (35 mm film equivalent)." See the Pentax WG-3 Operating Manual, P. 79.

The presence of "ghosting" indicates that stitching is not perfect.

I see! That makes sense.  Thank you so much for the translation!  I should've realized - the shot looks like an ultra-wide angle, much wider than 25mm.

With that out of the way, I'd say, overall IQ is similar to that of TG-1/2.  There's a bit of blue fringing at high-contrast areas, bot on the other hand, the sensor resolution is higher.  Broad daylight shots (the two or three that I've seen so far) show that the WG-3 is a lot more conservative with the use of the ND filter than the TG-1, so there's less need in an aperture-priority mode.

If I were choosing between the WG-3 and the TG-1, it would be down to the (very small) differences in features.

Boris

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
so
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow