Question on D7100 Auto ISO behavior for flash photography

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Questions thread
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,764
Shouldn't

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

wiseone wrote:

I've moved up from a D7000 to D7100. I shoot animals indoors (mostly) at an animal shelter for publication. I shoot with shutter priority to catch action (160 to 250 or flash limitation) and auto iso. I was able to get away with using the little Nikon 400. With the D7K exposures were pretty good.

With the D7100, exposures way off,  and not the same color balance from the flash because from what I gather here the flash/exposure is reversed from the D7K. From what I've read on this thread, if you use a flash in "commander" mode, it will  force the cam to expose the way it used to? I assume when you set commander mode (I also have the Nikon 700 flash) you should also set the cam the same?

No...Commander mode in camera only affect the pop-up flash. Doing that in conjunction with Auto-ISO basically disables Auto-ISO.

Correct despite previous reports that it "restores behaviour from old implementation" it does no such thing. It just disables auto ISO.

I would prefer to use the little 400 as it gives  (used to give) just the right amount of fill but it has no commander setting.and so far this has become a major problem and my post processing time has doubled.

Your SB-400 should work as it always did with your D7K. Exposures should not be way off. Are you in spot or matrix?

Mako, read the thread above again. It appears they've changed the flash implementation on the D800/D600/D7100 (and I assume D5200). With external flash, auto-ISO is raised to 4x minimum ISO set. Read the section on auto ISO and flash at the bottom of this page:

http://www.scantips.com/lights/flashbasics4b.html

Same with D7000...Auto ISO is only increased to be two stops above Minimum (if in this dim ambient. Two stops is like ISO 100 to ISO 400, and 400 is very reasonable for bounce). Logic and reason finally won. Slow sync has an additional affect... So with the SB-400 mounted,  he should not be underexposure. I think a past firmware update changed things on the D7K and why the commander mode workaround no longer works.

So his problem is he's using Nikon's weakest external flash, and he's use to a fill flash implementation that does raise the ISO first, but his new camera doesn't do this - instead it caps the auto ISO with external flash. So he ends up with underexposed pictures.

Shouldn't. My D7K does the same and my pics are not under exposed. I'm thinking there may be a setting nuance he's overlooked. Also, there are other nuances with the SB-400 do to the lack of a flash interface and why it performs different than say a SB-700. Hogan alludes to it in his guide.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
tko
MOD Mako2011
hea
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow