Is the OM-D the most unreliable Olympus ever?

Started Apr 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hindesite Senior Member • Posts: 2,442
Is the OM-D the most unreliable Olympus ever?

I'm aware of a stream of issues that users have reported with the E-M5 - minor details like the bezel crack, black paint falling off etc, but major issues - especially just after release - of things like IBIS failure, spontaneously cracking screens, shutter failures and so on.

The only other Olympus that I can recall having any number of complaints was the E-PM1, with the issue around losing time if the main battery was removed for any length of time.

I figure that the E-M5 must have sold an awful lot more than I think it has, for the complaints about it not to be disproportionate to the number in use.

This is a screenshot of a thumbnail listing of the first 36 shots of nothing in particular from a (barely) used E-M5 that I bought recently. Shutter failure is easily apparent at high shutter speeds, but I suspect that exposure may thus be unreliable for all shutter speeds. Of the first 36 exposures, 8 are clear failures (as you can see). As you can imagine, I'm gutted. This is no minor repair like replacing a screen.

Does anyone else feel the issues with the E-M5 are out of line with other cameras, or is it quite normal and just the echo chamber effect of forums that I'm seeing here?

-- hide signature --
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow