a99 HOT SHOE does not FIT Radio Trigger and Flashes

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Clyde Thomas Contributing Member • Posts: 959
Re: PocketWizard III work perfectly with a99 and RX1

Brian_Smith wrote:

Actually, it's not only possible, it works great!

PocketWizard III triggers work great in the Multi-Interface Shoe with a99 and RX (and with NEX-6). No problems at all.

How's the a99 HSS and TTL features working out for you with the Pocket Wizard III on Sony MIS? I've had that one trick pony with Quantum 4i's adapted to iISO since 1987.  A $20 chinese radio slave can do it too... native for either shoe.

But for stopping action with HSS for outdoor strobist work, leveraging all the modern tech that a $2800 camera is supposed to profit the user, one must use Pixel King or Phottix Odin with a native iISO foot.  Or at least the F20AM that doesn't delay the timing... critical for some of us... HSS without delay.

Can't do that with a dumb trigger.

Or this...

This, sure... but much easier with HSS.

I'm really baffled why so many are so pleased that Sony has taken our flash system back to the technology of 1985, before HSS or wireless.  iISO had all the dumb triggers you want for $25, native iISO.  And I too often use my Quantum 4i or PWPlusII for studio at lower sync... with an adapter for iISO... no problemo.

Now we need adapters for the smart functions that we pay for in the camera.  Why does a99 have the smart HSS/TTL and ratio features if they don't work properly, without delay, or with any native mounting solution?

Even worse... on a plastic foot that doesn't even have full sleds, or locking pin for iISO to MIS adapter?  This new shoe is absolutely ridiculous.  A fine port for video accessories.  But the flash has been flushed.

-- hide signature --

Here to help. Here to learn.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RVN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow