Just ordered the 24-120mm f/4....after long consideration....

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joe Porto Senior Member • Posts: 1,064
Just ordered the 24-120mm f/4....after long consideration....

I recently sold both my 14-24mm f/2.8 and 24-70mm f/2.8, mostly because they were just too large, and I didn't often use that range (I would usually just bring my Canon G-15).

But I found that I missed the 24-28mm range with my D800, so for the last several days, I've been comparing the 24-85mm VR, 24-120mm VR, and 28mm 1.8G on Digital-Picture lens comparison tool.

Immediately I realized I wouldn't be happy with the 24-85mm. It's simply not sharp enough, and the mid frame and extreme edges are very bad, with lots of CA. So I compared the 28mm f/1.8 w/ the 24-120mm at f/4 and was surprised to see that the 24-120 was holding it's own for sharpness at center and mid frame, although definitely had more CA and a lot of distortion....but w/ DXO that can be easily fixed.

So I decided to spend the extra cash and get what I hope to be a very good and versatile midrange zoom lens. I hope I made the right decision...we will see tomorrow when it arrives.

Joe Porto's gear list:Joe Porto's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow