Advise on EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM and EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Questions thread
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,444
Re: Advise on EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM and EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

It depends both on how much you are willing to spend and on what you are looking for in that lens range. Obviously, the 24-70II is a lot more money than the 24-105. More than twice the price. It is, according to the reviews, a bit sharper and has a bit less distortion. I have had the 24-105 for over six years, and have found it to be very sharp. It isn't the sharpest lens I own, but I also own the 70-200 F2.8L IS II, which is about the sharpest zoom Canon has ever made, and the 100 F2.8L IS macro, and the 200 F2.8L and the 35 F1.4L. However, the 24-105 is still plenty sharp. You won't see the difference at normal printing or viewing sizes. When I bought the 24-105, I could have gotten the mark I version of the 24-70 for about the same price. I chose the 24-105, because the IS and the extra range were (and still are) more important to me than having F2.8 on that lens. I still have the same preferences, so I wouldn't get the 24-70, even if it were the same price as the 24-105. Others have different priorities. If Canon had put IS on the new 24-70, I might have been tempted. For many people, IS is a huge factor. My point is that the choice certainly doesn't just come down to absolute lens IQ and price. For many people, such as me, the 24-105 is the better choice, regardless of price. You also need to ask yourself how much IS and the extra range matter to you, compared with one stop more light gathering ability.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow