Advise on EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM and EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Questions thread
birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,525
Re: Advise on EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM and EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

acyt wrote:

I currently own a EOS 450d. I own a Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 Pro DX II Lens, canon standard 18-55mm f5.6 and 50mm f1.8. I have looked into EF24-105mm, though there are pretty good reviews, quite a number recommend EF24-70mm  instead. Please advise!

I went for the 24-105 in the end, as nice as the 24-70 MkII maybe, as I could pick up a 'white box' 24-105 new for a third of the discounted cost of a 24-70 MkII it seemed a no brainer to me.

'White box' is where the lens was part of a camera body and lens kit where the body is sold separately, well worth looking out for them.

So far I am very happy with the 24-105, most of it optical foibles can be removed using the lens correction available in DPP or the like quite easily. OK the sharpness may not be the best across the board but using DPP's Digital Lens Optimiser the results seem quite good. A4 prints look pretty stunning, just waiting for the right subject to do an A3 print with.

It fits in nicely with my 70-200 f4 IS L making a nice two lens package. Add in my 16-35 f2.8 IS L MkII and I have most things are covered.

I 'hummed and hawed' over this lens for quite a while as there seemed to mixed reviews on it, now I have got it I am beginning to wonder why I didn't get it sooner!

If you have the money then the 24-70 MkII is a stonking lens, otherwise the 24-105 makes a very good second best.

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow