Spot metering snow scenes

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
OP GeorgianBay1939 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,044
Re: Why bracket?

Vlad S wrote:

In my original response I wrote that the value is in automation. There have been numerous discussions of the fact that currently cameras do not have programs to expose for the "optimal sensor loading," so this situation is not covered by any automatic mode. It does not mean that matrix metering is useless for a huge number of users.

Yes, in an earlier post on this thread I asked XDJAA why manufacturers haven't developed a method which will help a RAW photographer load the sensor optimally (ETTR).  It seems to me that such a capability would sell like hot cakes.

There is one thing that I do not quite understand in your method: you mentioned that you do bracketing. This seems pretty inconsistent with bothering to set a very precise exposure. You will have exposures in the range of several EV - surely there will be something to pick from even if the 0 EC is not optimal

Vlad

Of all of my images in this thread the only one that was bracketed is the wharf (as an illustration of one of my early HDRs, shot last fall.)

I only do bracketing if I have such a wide Scene Luminance Range that I can't capture it when shooting ETTR.

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow