Vlad S Veteran Member • Posts: 3,751
Why bracket?

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Vlad S wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Vlad S wrote:

The value is in automation.

indeed, spray and pray.

If you actually took some pictures you would have known that matrix or evaluative metering works extremely well in all but the most challenging situations.

Vlad

Can you push this sentence a bit further?   Please.

matrix or evaluative metering works extremely well in all but the most challenging situations.

If I want to load that sensor optimally in RAW, how do I do it in matrix mode?   I have tried a few times and always get a more centralized histogram.  I can move the histogram to the right by changing the EC but I don't "see" the (luminance of the) scene nearly as well as when in spot meter mode.

My comment was in response to the "spray and pray" comment, which suggests that matrix metering is  comparable to random exposure settings.

In my original response I wrote that the value is in automation. There have been numerous discussions of the fact that currently cameras do not have programs to expose for the "optimal sensor loading," so this situation is not covered by any automatic mode. It does not mean that matrix metering is useless for a huge number of users.

There is one thing that I do not quite understand in your method: you mentioned that you do bracketing. This seems pretty inconsistent with bothering to set a very precise exposure. You will have exposures in the range of several EV - surely there will be something to pick from even if the 0 EC is not optimal.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow