D800 100% pixel view in LV with firmware update!

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 7,919
Re: Another 1.01 LV vs Image Review comp

paulraphael wrote:

I just looked again and the difference is more dramatic than what I remembered from last night. Live view has gone from a barely useable focus aid to a pleasurably useable one.

I've been focussing on many things at many different apertures. There's still noise, and occasional artifacts that look like aliasing, but it doesn't look like the interpolated mush that I'm used to.

Since there are differences of opinion here we shouldn't rule out the possibility of some cameras responding differently from others. Such a glitch would be illogical and weird, but then again, this is the d800 we're talking about ...

One thing to keep in mind is that the interpolation is highly dependent on both the horz/vert detail of the subject and the focusing distance; if I move my D800 closer to my cereal box subject the clarity improves alot, but this is only because of the frequency of detail difference at that distance and I observed the same phenomena in the original firmware.

In your prior post you mentioned that focus pops in/out better...that would imply maybe a higher frame rate in the LV preview. I never had issue with the frame rate in 1.00 and not sure if its increased in 1.01.

Also, perhaps there's a difference in settings between our bodies, and the firmware update is changing how the camera responds to those settings. When I tested this originally last year the LV preview only changed when I altered the picture profile sharpness or contrast settings - increasing those made focusing a little easier but didn't improve the general clarity.

It would be helpful if those who see an improvement could describe in better detail what exactly about the preview they believe has improved.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow