New 100-400 in a few months?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,849
Re: "nothing wrong"

Howard wrote:

You can certainly say that, but to think that it cannot be improved upon would be short-sighted. I love this lens, but it could use an updated AF, IS and better wide-open IQ.

Once we all thought Canon's 300 f/2.8 (and the like) were flawless, yet, the II version really exceeded the "perfection" previously perceived.

There is always room for improvement, but what I question is whether or not it is expedient to do so. It is possible to make the 100-400L the same quality as the mythical 200-400L, but at a price.

Right now, everyone who has the 100-400L loves the lens. It probably has the best price/range/performance ratio of all the lenses on offer. Are there many practical reasons to update this lens from Canon's point of view?

Rationally, I don't think a new 100-400L will be more than a longer version of the 70-300L but with the same pricetag as the new Nikkor 80-400. Is that attractive enough?

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
amd
(unknown member)
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow