Question on D7100 Auto ISO behavior for flash photography

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Questions thread
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,867
Heres why

rdellar17 wrote:

That is normal and how you know EC is set in A,S, and P mode...when the settings can't keep up with the exposure then the whole meter will blink not just the "0".  (The zero always flashes when you have EC set to other than zero)   In manual mode you get just the EC icon as the meter reading is a manual one until the settings you have go out side the zone (too dark or to bright) then the whole meter blinks.

(A/S/P/Auto show nothing for the meter if the exposure compensation is set to 0.)

Normal as long as the auto setting can maintain "0"

Humm...  It is just odd that I can never get the exposure meter to show up in A,S, and P modes on the D80. (When EC is 0 the meter just doesn't show.  No blinking, just nothing there where the meter should be in the viewfinder I thought.  No matter if I aim the camera at bright white on a monitor, cover the lens, flash/noflash, etc.)

That is normal and here is why.  In A,S, and P mode  when ever you change one setting the camera changes another to keep the meter at "0". The only time you need to see the meter is when the other camera settings have reached their limit (can't open a wider aperture in S mode...for example) and a "0" can't be maintained...the the meter shows up and telss you by how much the "0" can't be maintained so you can decide what to do next.

It might be normal, but that is what threw me for a loop vs the D7100 that always shows the meter which is cool... 

Should not be showing the exposure meter in the viewfinder in A,S or P if EC is "0" and the scene is not outside the limits (per page 86) Menu b3 might affect that though

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
tko
MOD Mako2011
hea
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow