a99 HOT SHOE does not FIT Radio Trigger and Flashes

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Clyde Thomas Senior Member • Posts: 1,160
Re: Works flawless with Skyport

Nordstjernen wrote:

-- hide signature --

--My old flashes works with my A77 and A99, and wireless is no problem. I just have to keep the needed adapters with the flash system  radio triggers and recievers. Not a big deal!

So it doesn't matter to you either way, adapters or not.  I prefer adapters for studio dumb triggers, and native solutions for on camera work.  You know, the way it was.

Have you overcome the 1/2 second wireless delay that Gary Friedman demonstrates?  Or is it not a big deal "no problem" for you?

For me... flash photography is about building a system that works. An important part of this is to find out what works and what to stay clear of before doing any investments.

Imagine making that investment, to discover it's been abandoned without warning or request by users, for no apparent good reason that couldn't have been accomplished by modifying the existing system.

No pain at all switching from old to new Sony flash shoe  - earlier I had to use adapters,

Earlier, you said using adapters was "fine".  Even so, it wasn't necessary, because there are half a dozen native iISO radio slaves available for quite some time now.  Many of them smart, offering TTL and HSS.  They can be had for all price points and quality levels. There is also a PC port available that doesn't require adapters.

So you were using adapters when you didn't have to.  Now I have to use adapters mandatory, when I don't want to.  It's not fine with me.  Adapters put extra kinks in the chain of reliability, stability, balance, portability.  Adapters suck.

and now Sony are offering well built adapters from new to old system, so that I can use everything both ways - old/new and new/old.

Would be better well built if it had the locking pins necessary to accommodate security won from twenty years ago.  Especially more important now that flash sits higher with less balance on the weakest point of any connection.

For the future I will stay with the new Sony hot shoe only, which means that there are one adapter less to care about. Not a big deal.

Until you want smart connections active, which is the point of purchasing a $600 smart flash.  Could have four Yongnuo's and slaves for the same price, provide exact same functionality... actually better... because they don't need adapters.

And who knows how Sony will implement new camera flash features for the future. The pins might add new functionality and make their camera flash system even better.

I'd feel better about the purported potential from a company who's slogan wasn't "Make.Believe".

And seriously with Sony, you are correct.  "Who knows" when they'll drop this new shoe in favor of another.

Also, every camera maker has their own propetarian flash system for auto/wireless functions, so there is actually no need for a standard hot shoe.

I'm sorry Nordstjernen... what was the problem with the old shoe again?

-- hide signature --

Here to help. Here to learn.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RVN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow