Is shooting raw 4 HDR worth the trouble?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
richardplondon
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,563
Re: LR/Enfuse...

Mike CH wrote:

... I didn't know about.

Sounds like it could be worth a try?

I like this for its fairly natural treatment of contrast, due to the "exposure fusion" method - which I prefer over the more usual HDR processing (where exposures are combined into a wide dynamic range image and then compressed back down with tone-mapping). The usual kind of HDR can sometimes succeed by subtle means, but is far more often rather crude and overbearing IMO - with some nasty contrast characteristics.

As I understand it, the Fusion approach chooses the better-exposed parts of each frame, and manages the relative brightnesses of these within the output tonality when combining them. So the brightness levels in the scene are addressed within a quite moderate transformation which does not require a huge intermediate image to be processed, also does not break down and rebuild the picture's tonal integrity to the same degree.

http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrenfuse.php

This same technique is also available as an alternative processing method in e.g. Photomatix, among others.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow