Is shooting raw 4 HDR worth the trouble?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,631
Re: LR/Enfuse...

Mike CH wrote:

... I didn't know about.

Sounds like it could be worth a try?

I like this for its fairly natural treatment of contrast, due to the "exposure fusion" method - which I prefer over the more usual HDR processing (where exposures are combined into a wide dynamic range image and then compressed back down with tone-mapping). The usual kind of HDR can sometimes succeed by subtle means, but is far more often rather crude and overbearing IMO - with some nasty contrast characteristics.

As I understand it, the Fusion approach chooses the better-exposed parts of each frame, and manages the relative brightnesses of these within the output tonality when combining them. So the brightness levels in the scene are addressed within a quite moderate transformation which does not require a huge intermediate image to be processed, also does not break down and rebuild the picture's tonal integrity to the same degree.

This same technique is also available as an alternative processing method in e.g. Photomatix, among others.

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow