Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,363
Re: Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

rtf wrote:

Hi everyone. Sorry if this seems a little off topic but your the people that directly fit my question.

I now have a medical issue with the nerves in my middle fingers of my left hand (due to broken fingers years ago). I have major problems using lenses much bigger than a 50mm (gutted). My doctor warned me ages ago that this would become an issue and advised me to downsize the weight and bulk of my camera gear. Yesterday I was taking images of a restaurant for a website, and after the tripod work I struggled to take handheld shots with the D800 + 105DC. So much so that I only felt comfortable using the 50mm handheld. The restaurant owner asked me if I would consider photographing his wedding which I declined because I cannot rely on good handling technique with my present gear. Very reluctantly, I have to seriously consider downsizing to micro four thirds, and I would like to know your honest opinions on whether you think in my position that you could swap to micro four thirds and adjust to the smaller system. I'm a pro and would like to remain one if I can. In recent times I have had lots of low res work (website images) so I know that I can live with a smaller sensor and make some money, but I'm a little disheartened at the moment. So my question is: Olympus, Fuji, or Panasonic?. I need portrait, wide-angle, and macro capability in that order of importance. I'm leaning towards Olympus. Your thoughts would be very appreciated.

Very sorry to hear about your condition. Most unfortunate.

I shot the D2Hs for about 8 months and found it just too big. A joy to shoot as the performance was breathtaking, but ultimately it took way to much space in the bag and effort to use.

So I grabbed a D300 and loved it. I then grabbed a D700 and loved it enough to mostly stop using the D300. And then I got replaced the D300 with a D7000 and was amazed that it shot and felt more like a mini-D700 than a mini-D300. After barely a month I never picked up the D700 so of course I sold it eventually.

I was happy with the D7000 for perhaps 18 months, but the call of small got to me again. I was carrying a lot of extra weight at the time (on me, not in the bag :-)) -- 70+ pounds of that gone now, whew -- and it was just too much to hike around and bring with me when I travelled. Plus, video was calling to me and I hate the limitations of dSLR video (short clips, poor AF.)

So I started looking into m4/3 and was a little shocked at how good the output really was. Easily a match for the D300 and not far enough behind the D7000 to matter to me (RAW shooter and pretty good with Lightroom and Photoshop.)

And there I sit. Four Panasonic bodies (they feel and shoot a lot like Nikon) and lots of lenses, most of which are very small. The 45 1.8, 30 2.8 and 19 2.8 are really excellent. So is the 14-42 X Vario PZ pancake zoom (28-84 EFL) ...

The other PZ zoom (these have zoom by stick and are quite sharp) is also tiny. I have the 14-140 for walk about and travel, and the fairly hefty 100-300 for wicked range. The 100-300 is about 2/3 the size of the Nikon 70-300.

I'm happy. I have only shot a few weddings, but would be happy to give it a go. Especially with supplemental flash. Anyway, YMMV ... but you sound like the perfect candidate for m4/3.

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
rtf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow